We continue our series on “Systems Ju-jitsu.” Before exploring the specific tactics leaders can use it will be helpful to identify their characteristics. These characteristics will help highlight why the tactics are legitimate for systems leaders. These tactics have the following characteristics:
- They are legitimate actions
- They focus on bringing about change in the system, not changing others
- They focus on realizing progress in the system (getting the system unstuck)
- They are informed by systemic emotional process
- They are responses that help regulate the leader’s own emotional state, thereby avoiding reactive responses like willfulness or overfunctioning.
With the next blog entry we examine specific tactics of Systems Ju-jitsu.